Our Redirected Flight

Our Redirected Flight

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Spina Bifida Awareness Month

"This isn't good, I have some really bad news for you" This is exactly how we were told that our second baby boy would be born with Spina Bifida. I will always remember how we were told, the sinking in my heart, the immediate worry and sorrow. I love our OB but I really wish the news had been delivered differently. I have met so many other families who share this experience with me. We all remember that day like it was yesterday. We remember the exact words, the despair, the grim diagnosis. What none of us remember being told in that moment, that vulnerable moment, is that we would be having beautiful babies that may have special challenges, but that would be so much more similar to other babies than they are different. We weren't told that our baby would change our lives in so many unimaginable ways. We were given "really bad news" unfortunately by doctors who are excellent at diagnosing Spina Bifida, but not so excellent at knowing the kind of amazing lives these people live. It is my wish that through awareness, we will change the future of that day. That more doctors and medical professionals will gain greater awareness of what it means to be an individual living with spina bifida, so that when they are in the position of telling excited, soon to be parents of this diagnosis that they can send a message of truth, a message of hope!
This is not "really bad news", this is one of the brightest lights in my life!!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I feel this way 100% about our little guy. Love the new banner picture and can't believe how big (and beautiful!) your little guy is! So sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm so blessed to have found your blog. My thoughts exactly. Our son was born in 2009, and his story resembles so much of your sons. Love these little lights, you've done a great job sharing your story & journey!
    ~ Ciara Woodard, Kihei, HI

    ReplyDelete